Contact UsHomeRhona L. Waxman - Hamilton Personal Injury Lawyer & Accident Attorney

Hamilton Personal Injury Lawyer » Ask Rhona

How do I apply for short term disability in Ontario?


Applying for short term disability generally requires that you complete an application form and send in a medical form completed by your family doctor.

  • If the short term disability is available to you through your job, you get the application and medical form from your employer. 
  • If the short term disability is through a private policy, contact your insurance company or insurance broker to get the forms you will need to fill out.

Apply as soon as possible and always inquire if there is a time limit to complete the application.  

If you are out of time do not assume you are prevented from claiming under the policy, contact a lawyer immediately.


Contact a Hamilton Personal Injury Lawyer
Get the compensation you deserve! If you've been injured in an accident or have an insurance claim, I will help you reduce your worry and stress to a minimum and ensure you recieve best medical and rehabilitation services available.


  • Avatar On 06.14.09 Lindsay wrote:

    Hi there,

    What should I do if I do not have benefits through work, but I have to have surgery and be off for 6 weeks? Is there some sort of goverment assistance available for me?

  • Avatar On 06.15.09 Rhona Waxman wrote:

    Yes there is government assistance available for you. You can apply for Employment Insurance Sick Benefits.

    It will cover you for 15 weeks. Right now, it takes about 4 weeks for EI to process the claim.

    Visit the Government of Canada website for more information.

  • Avatar On 07.15.09 Frank wrote:

    HELLO: I am wondering if there is a way to apply for private Short Term Disability Benefits, I am employed but my Insurance company does not offer Short Term, I am going to be having surgery and will be off work for 6-8 weeks, and I have a big family, with big bills. Need to have money coming in and I want to make sure that things are covered while I am off, so there are no surprises.

    Can someone please help me, tell me where to turn.

    Thanks so much.

  • Avatar On 07.27.09 Melanie Kim wrote:

    Hi, I qualify for STD after completion of my 3 month probation. I am feeling ill due to pregnancy. I found out I was pregnant 2 weeks after accepting the role. Once my probation is up, and if I needed to go on STD would my pregnancy be considered a “previous condition” and if so, would I still qualify for STD?

  • Avatar On 12.24.09 Audrey wrote:

    Just wondering if I can apply for diasability after being on WSIB from a work injury. I hurt my arms,neck, and shoulders and now its hard to find a job that I can do without my arms hurting more.I also have chronic pain but I have been getting worse.

  • Avatar On 01.11.10 Sean ashton wrote:

    hi i have a slip disc in my back and work has advised me to that they have to pull off work because i am a truck driver and it could cause problems can i apply for a short term disability
    though u.i .

  • Avatar On 01.28.10 Mary Shipp wrote:

    I was wondering how I go about getting an application for short term disability.
    Mary Shipp

have your say

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. Subscribe to these comments.



« Should I keep a diary of how I am feeling for my personal injury claim?
» If my no fault insurance company denies my personal injury claim can I go after the driver?
Jump to Top
Online e-Dating Profile Writing Service